More and more law firms are starting to create Facebook fan pages to interact and engage with clients, potential clients and referral sources. The majority of pages belong to solo’s and small to mid-size firms; however larger firms are starting to join in. Wilson Sonsini has quite an active page. Take a look here.
Part 3 focuses on which Applications you should use when creating your law firms Facebook page.
My good friend Adrian Lurssen of JD Supra did not pay me to write this. Law firms should absolutely sign up for JD Supra and add this to their law firms Facebook Page. Take a look at what they have to offer here and make sure you research the differences of having a paid vs. non-paid account. You should also look into syncing it with your LinkedIn profile.
Join Our Newsletter List
We send out a quarterly newsletter via Constant Contact. They have partnered with Facebook to create a neat little app for people to sign up. It’s easy to track who signed up via Facebook as well.
FBML AKA Landing Pages
This is the single most important thing you can add to your law firms Facebook page. Yes, really. If you are going to create a page you must create a landing page. It’s the first thing new users will see when they visit your page. And it also has the important task of convincing users to “Like” your page.
You’ll need a couple of things to get started:
- Very very basic knowledge of HTML Coding. I’ll give you the basics below.
- An image hosting site such as Photobucket or Flickr.
This is the first page viewers will see when they visit my page for the first time. After they like this page they will no longer see it each time they visit. You can test this out by visiting my page here. “Like” the page and then leave it. When you go back you will be greeted by the wall.
Here are my steps on how to create a landing page:
- Add the FBML app to your Law Firms Facebook Page.
- Create your image in Photoshop. It can’t be wider than 520 pixels. Mine was roughly 520 x 600. Save is as a JPEG on your desktop.
- Host the image online. I use Photobucket. After it’s uploaded grab the Direct Link Code. It will look something like this: “http://i1046.photobucket.com/albums/b470/samanthacollier/2011-20-24socialmediaforlawfirms.jpg”
- Go to your FB Page and select “Edit Page”.
- Go to Apps and then select “Edit Settings” under FBML. Here comes the fun part.
- Enter the Title you’d like to appear on the page. I put “welcome”.
- Enter the following bit of code into the text box below the title:
You can also add hyperlinks, videos and buttons to your firms website but I’ll save that for another post. Take a stab at it and let me know how it works for you. Please let me know if you have any issues and I’ll be happy to help.