This will be a short and sweet blog post to share some very interesting statistics in favor of social media use by lawyers/law firms. Nancy Myrland shared the numbers during the LMA Midwest Regional Conference in Minneapolis and Larry Bodine blogged about it here (Please note GALMZ stands for Greentarget, American Lawyer & Zeughauser Study.)
- JD Supra: On LinkedIn, 800,000 have law or legal in their profile.
- Hubbard One: On LinkedIn, 3% are lawyers = 2,250,000 lawyers.
- 53% of in-house counsel expect their consumption of industry news and information via new media will increase in the next 6-12 months. (GALMZ)
- For professional use, in-house counsel use LinkedIn, Blogs and Wikipedia. (GALMZ)
- An increasing number of in-house counsel want info on their PDAs and Smart Phones. (GALMZ)
- For personal use, in-house counsel like Facebook, Wikipedia, YouTube. (GALMZ)
- 43% of in-house counsel cited blogs are their leading source for news. (GALMZ)
- 26% cited they use Social Networking sites. (GALMZ)
- 50% of in-house counsel use LinkedIn. (GALMZ)
- 68% of in-house counsel are on Facebook. (GALMZ)
- 81 of AmLaw 100 are using Twitter. (GALMZ)
- 38 of AmLaw 100 are blogging. (LexBlog)
- 96 of AmLaw 200 are blogging. (LexBlog)
- Every AmLaw 200 firm company profile on LinkedIn by default. (Apollo)
- 5,000 law firms has business profiles on LinkedIn. (Apollo)
- 4,000 LinkedIn groups with the word Law. (Apollo)
- 31 of AmLaw 100 have Pages on Facebook. (John Byrne)
- Lawyers primary reasons for use: Networking, Socializing, Client Development, Career Development, Case Investigation (ABA)
Larry Bodine also mentioned
“during the presentation yesterday, when she took an informal poll of users of different Social Media, when asked which firms had Facebook Pages, half the room raised their hands.”
I’m very happy to see these statistics. Social Media is proving to be a useful tool along with traditional marketing methods.