I just read an article over on the LinkedIn Blog called Lurk First (and Four More Tips to Get the Most out of LinkedIn Groups), and I wanted to share some of the info with you here. LinkedIn groups are a great way for lawyers to meet and engage with members of your industry, your alumni and potential clients.
First, make sure you’ve optimized your LinkedIn Profile by doing the following:
- Changed your personal url to include your name (Like this -http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samanthatcollier)
- Included a recent photograph of yourself
- Included your Twitter handle (if you tweet) in your profile
- Give Recommendations (check your local bar/law society first)
- Connect people together you think would benefit from knowing each other
- Include apps such as slideshare, tripit, legal updates, etc.
- Check out the trending topics. What are people talking about? How will you be able to add to the conversation?
- Group members who post often become top influencers and are displayed on the bottom right hand side under a label titled “Top Influencers This Week”. These are the people that drive conversations and post often. Get to know how they interact.
- Visit the “Manager’s Choice” section to see where the group manager has elevated certain conversations that he or she feels are more important for members to view.
- Try and get an idea for how conversation flows. Is it casual? Technical? Match the tone.