One of Kevin O’Keefe’s latest blog posts indicated LinkedIn was the number one social media network lawyers use for networking with more than 80% currently using it. Make your LinkedIn profile work for you.
Here is my list of everything you should do right now to create an impressive LinkedIn profile:
- Make sure your picture is professional and up to date. There are fake profiles on LinkedIn and your picture will help establish your social media credibility. Ensure your picture is sending the right message.
- Ensure your profile is 100% accurate. This includes your work experience, contact information, website address, blog address, and twitter handle.
- Create a comprehensive summary that will give people an idea about you are, what you’ve accomplished and what you have to offer. Choose your wording carefully and list your qualifications. Don’t just copy and paste your website bio. Be honest and show your personality.
- Take advantage of featured Applications that promote your content such as JD Supra and Blog Link. Consider a paid subscription with JD Supra to distribute your work to the biggest network around.
- Give recommendations to contacts that have gone above and beyond the call of duty. Use descriptive language and reference how problems were solved, etc.
- Claim your public profile URL. Instructions below.
- Import all your contacts from your email provider and twitter. Invite contacts to join LinkedIn if they aren’t signed up. They will appreciate it and thank you later.
- Join relevant groups and engage with colleagues, clients, potential clients and referral sources. Read discussions and look for questions that you can answer. Don’t spam.
- When adding a new connection on LinkedIn please delete the standard message “I’d like to add you to my professional network on LinkedIn” and write a personal note.
- Introduce contacts to each other when relevant. Be a connector.
- Consider putting Linkedin Buttons on your blog, website and email signature. There are many different types to choose from.
- How to add Connections to LinkedIn
- How to add JD Supra’s Legal Updates on Linkedin
- How to Make a Great First Impression on LinkedIn
- How to Write a LinkedIn Profile Summary
- Legal Updates that matter to you, from lawyers on LinkedIn
- How to Write a LinkedIn Recommendation
- Claim your LinkedIn vanity profile and use it in your personal branding
- How to add a LinkedIn button to your profile
Do you have any more tips on how to create a great profile? I’d love to hear them.