Have you set up a Google Alert for your name? Your firm’s name? If not, read this article and get it done. A Google Alert will inform you via email each time your name (or whatever search term you define) is published on the net.
Lawyers can’t ignore the Internet anymore. As you know, I worked in the marketing department of a large IP firm and I used to debate the importance of law firm websites with the managing partner. He thought the absence of information was a positive and would set him apart from the competition.
He has an amazing reputation and he’s known as one of the best, but does that mean he should ignore the Internet and social media? Obviously not. And, I’m proud to say he has a variety of social media accounts today. I’m like a proud mom.
FindLaw and Google published an infographic demonstrating legal market trends in 2016. Here’s what you need to know.
- 96% of people use a search engine when looking for a lawyer
- 74% of people will first contact a lawyer via phone, not email. This was surprising to me but that’s cause I’m a hermit.
- 42% of people switch between smartphones, laptops and computers when researching lawyers. You have to have a responsive website, you’ll lose clients if you don’t. Personally, this would be my first priority.
- 1 in 5 people look up potential lawyers on YouTube. This number is continuing to grow and lawyers should definitely consider video and livestreaming. Facebook Live, Zoom and YouTube Live are all great choices. I’m working on some really cool livestreaming projects for lawyers and if you’re interested please feel free to contact me.
- 31% of law firm related website traffic is done through mobile search.
Next Action Steps
- Find out if you have a responsive website by looking up your website on all types of smartphones – Android, iPhone, etc. If the text is hard, you don’t have a responsive site. Bug your firm’s IT team or hire an outside contractor. It’s pretty easy to do.
- Make sure your phone number is published on each page of your website. As soon as a client decides to contact you, your number should be right in front of them.
- Read up on Google’s search algorithms and stay up to date on SEO best practices. I can help you with this as well. You can contact me via my contact form as well.
In conclusion, use this data when determining your business objectives – it’s just one piece of the marketing pie. And don’t forget, social media marketing is the same as offline marketing – the same rules apply.