Many legal professionals are wary of joining the social media realm because of privacy concerns and public record. Google just launched a new service called “Me on the Web” to help make it easier to monitor your identity on the web. They’ve also provided various resources on how to manage your online information and how to keep personal information out of Google.
Me on the Web appears as a section of the Google Dashboard right beneath the account details:
From here you can:
- Learn how to search for yourself online.
- Remove unwanted content and the associated search results.
- Get notified when your personal data appears on the web.
- Tips on when to post personal information online.
- Tips on how to get rid of unwanted data online by posting useful, positive information
- Learn what to do if confidential personal information is posted online.
It’s imperative you utilize these services if you use the web to market and/or promote yourself and your firm. It’s important that you know what is being said about you so you can respond if necessary as well.