Breaking News! Put down your coffee and brace yourself… Twitter.com is undergoing a kick-ass upgrade! Behemoth social media platforms aren’t completely refreshed often (hence the kick-ass title).
According to Twitter, hundreds of millions of people visit their site every month. Over 3 billion tweets have been sent since Twitter’s birth and 0.01% of these (32 million) were sent during the 2014 World Cup Final.
Get ready to be ostracized if you don’t have a Twitter account. One fifth of all Internet users will have a Twitter handle by the end of 2015. Even if you’re not a Tweeter yet, log in and reserve your name.
Twitter’s Kick-Ass 2015 Upgrade
- According to Twitter.com, non-members will find “interesting topics to explore like Politics, Pop Artists and even Cute Animals (YAY)” when they visit the site.
- A Twitter membership is not required to view popular tweets on various subjects.
- Twitter’s blog states that non-user experiences will be just as exciting (yahoo!) as actual Twitter users. This isn’t exactly true as Twitter says, “Click on a topic and you’ll see a timeline of Tweets from some of the most popular topics…”. This lingo means non-members won’t see normal tweets, just the VIPs.
- As per the norm, Twitter’s upgraded homepage will only be available to US members at first. It will roll out across the globe over a few weeks/months.
- Twitter’s blog promises additional homepage upgrades are in the works.
Overall, this isn’t the breaking Twitter news I was hoping for. I miss the moans and groans related to Facebook changes! Hint, hint Mark.
What Twitter’s Kick-Ass Upgrade Really Means
Twitter’s upgrading their homepage to increase membership.
In other words, Twitter is giving non-users Twitter-crack morsels with high hopes they’ll transition into heavy-Twitter-users. Nothing comes for free my dears!